For the last few years, Romania's economy has been the most dynamic in Europe, having registered growths of between 7% in 2017 and 3.8% in 2015.
Romania is a strong democracy, a NATO and EU member, attracting more and more interest from Asian, American and overseas investors, since it represents a gateway to both Europe and Eastern Europe / CIS.
As one of the pioneer privately owned market entry and M&A advisory firms in Romania, operating for over 15 years in this market, FRD Center has high competencies in buy-side advisory and is quite well placed to assist foreign buyers with their Deal Origination and Acquisition Target Search in Romania and the region.
The purchasing power of the Romanian population increased with 12% in 2016 and with 10% in 2017. Romanian industrial output grew by 8.2% in gross series in 2017 compared to the previous year.
Some of the recent foreign investments and crossborder Mergers & Acquisitions in Romania include:
- Czech investment fund Penta Investment acquired A&D Pharma, the largest pharma group in Romania, in a deal estimated at 300-400 mEUR.
- British company Vast Resources, which owns two non-ferrous metal mines in Romania, has obtained a 9.5 mUSD financing from Mercuria Energy Trading, one of the biggest independent energy and commodities traders in the world.
- German group Rewe, which owns the supermarket chain Penny Market, invested some 170 mEUR in Romania, in the last two years. The Penny Market network includes 220 stores, 20 of which were opened in 2017.
- Oil & gas producer OMV Petrom has completed the construction of two new gas treatment plants. The total investment amounts to over 130 mEUR.
- Rosendahl Industrial Services, the local subsidiary of the Austrian group Knill Gruppe, has launched an investment of 3.5mEUR for the construction of a new hall to expand the production capacity of the Satu Mare factory where they manufacture metal constructions and parts of metal structures.
- Romanian startup Holotech Studios, the developer of the real time animation program FaceRig, has received a 2 mUSD investment from U.S. venture capital fund Signal Fire.
- One United Properties invests 100 mEUR in projects developed on the former industrial platform Automatica.
- Danish group Rockwool will invest 50 mEUR in a stone wool plant in Romania. This is the group’s first investment in production in Romania. The production of stone wool at the new plant will start in 2019.
- Smithfield, part of WH Group (China), acquired local meat processors Elit and Vericom.
- Danish group Givesco A/S acquired 50% of the shares of local pasta producer, Sam Mills Group, with a combined business of over 140 mEUR.
- Mexican company Sigma Alimentos has acquired 51% of the shares of Caroli Foods Group, one of the main packaged meats producers in Romania.
- In October 2017, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) confirmed that it will become a shareholder in the Romanian agribusiness company, Agricover Holding, taking over 13% stakes.
- Unilever reached an agreement to buy local ice cream maker Betty Ice for an estimated 80-90 mEUR.
More details about successful crossborder acquisitions in Romania at http://market-entry-romania.blogspot.ro/2017/01/successful-crossborder-acquisitions-in.html
Since 2000, FRD Center offers market research and M&A consulting services to foreign buyers and investment funds interested to enter Romania and the emerging markets in Europe as investors or joint-ventures.
For some potential M&A Opportunities in the Meat Processing Sector in Romania go to http://market-entry-romania.blogspot.ro/2018/01/m-opportunities-in-meat-processing.html
For some potential M&A Opportunities in the Romanian IT Distribution Market - players, development and M&A go to http://market-entry-romania.blogspot.ro/2017/07/romanian-it-distribution-market-players.html
For automotive players and auto vechicle production in CE and SE Europe: Romania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Bulgaria, Turkey go to http://market-entry-romania.blogspot.ro/2018/02/auto-vechicle-production-in-ce-and-se.html